Killer Treats... no this is not a joke.


I am seeing more and more cases of dogs perishing or becoming seriously ill from peanut butter, gum and other things that you may not think are toxic. Even a dane can be made very sick with a small amount of xylitol. I have even found it listed in "natural" peanut butter and low fat yogurt. Please be awae and if you suspect your dog has ingested xylitol please seek veterinary care ASAP.

Xylitol
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is mainly used as an artificial sweetener though it is also naturally present in most fruits and vegetables such as plums, oats, mushrooms, corn and many others. Unlike other synthetic sweeteners and sugars, xylitol is very beneficial for reducing cavities and it’s also important in re-mineralization. In some studies, xylitol has also been found to reduce the probability of acute middle ear infection, especially in children. Despite the numerous health benefits, xylitol has been found to be extremely poisonous to some animals, especially dogs.

In both humans and animals, the blood sugar level is usually controlled by the production of insulin from the pancreas. However, in non-primate animals such as dogs, the amount of insulin that is usually released from the pancreas after consumption of substances containing xylitol is usually way above the expected mark. The rapid increase/release of insulin into the dog’s blood usually results in a general decrease in the blood sugar level. A decrease in the blood sugar level is commonly termed as hypoglycemia and can occur anywhere between 10 and 60 minutes after consuming the substance. If left untreated, hypoglycemia can be life-threatening.

A great list of things your dog should not eat has been put together by Dogaholic.com And keep on file the ASPCA Pet Poison Hot Line 888-426-4435

AttachmentSize
Image icon Xylitol.jpg262.08 KB